Proud to Be Junior! -- 11th Grade Class Forum -- Pan American School of Bahia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject

3 posters

Go down

Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject Empty Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject

Post  ana Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:32 pm

I've heard many people discussing about the new proposal for integrating students from public schools at PASB. Maybe some people want to go over certain points. (I know that this will probably be a heated debate, which will make it, all in all, more interesting and maybe help us improve/change the current proposal)
Looking forward to knowing your views.
ana
ana

Back to top Go down

Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject Empty Re: Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject

Post  Bibi Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 am

This is a very complicated matter, indeed. During the General Assembly, Eden did point out some issues that must be looked upon though I would say, and I think most of you would agree, that the way she presented her case ruled her out. To say that because there are social and cultural differences between "us", students of the Pan American School of Bahia, and "them", students of public schools in Salvador, we shouldn't promote opportunities is somewhat radical. Bearing in mind that we wouldn't be the first 'elite' school to do this, there are programs all over the world that offer scholarships to low-income students -- and they have worked!
Anyways, this is definitively an issue that needs to be discussed, and I sure hope we manage to reach some sort of a consensus by the end of the debate. Luisa brought up something interesting the othe day, she said that it would benefit them more if we sponsored a scholarship in a private brazilian school instead of having them at PASB. What are your views on that?
Bibi
Bibi

Back to top Go down

Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject Empty Re: Proposal For PASB Presented at SALMUN '08: the brand new polemic subject

Post  Oscar Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:05 pm

I personally believe that our society cannot ever have any chance to reach social equality without initiatives such as these awseome proposals (Bibi's and Luisa's), whose goal are to promote opportunity for everyone, regardless of class and cultural background. To give a living example to Bibi's point, in the French school system, such scholarships given to gifted Algerian and Morrocan children offered them the opportunity to enter university and get a better-paid job. One of my closest Morrocan friend called Elyas Boulayah, born in a poor district of my city, beneficiated, along with several of his fellows, from a scholarship that allowed him to pursue post-graduated study; he is now graduated in Administration Science field. And God knows how much French institutions are discriminatory.

About whether having students coming in Pan American School of Bahia, or sponsoring scholarship for them in Brazilian Private schools, I am in favor of both, since they would beneficiate opportunities fr low-income students; but it should be taken into consideration what PASB can offer students in term of english skills, and private brazilian schools in term of Brazilian curricula ... So it would be depending on the students' future orientation, I believe. What are your views on the matter?
Oscar
Oscar
Admin

https://class2010-pasb.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ana Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:16 pm

Bibi, I sent ms. Garrett a message during your presentation of the proposal suggesting exactly what luisa said, however, she did not understand it and said something about "separate is still something". but i see a problem with that, indeed. We, PASB students would have to pay for their education in another school, because we cannot force other schools to adhere to this project. this would mean paying a sum per month or semester or year... whatever. so, in a sense it would be better to start at our school.
What we must do however, is ask the result of the past scholarship students at PASB, we did have some. If you are curious, talk to Neuza about it. I did. she told me all but one quit, and this one that finished the senior year, did, during her graduation, a speech about how she felt discriminated. I know things have to change, but we have to tread carefully. Ideology is beautiful, but we must look at the past. What happened with these students in our school previously? why? how would this new proposal be different?
Eden, though extremely bad at wording it, had a fair point.
ana
ana

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down